Follow me on Twitter RSS FEED

Cobia Fishing Tips in Destin, Florida

Posted in

Catching Cobia In Destin, Fl




That's me and my crew catching a Cobia big enough to place 3rd in a tournament. Looks fun, right?
Cobia fish are some of the tastiest treats in the Gulf Coast. If you want to catch a Cobia in the Destin, Florida area, it helps to know how Cobias live, eat and swim. I’ve been catching Cobia for 10 years out in Destin on my charter boat, Into The Blue, and I know their lifestyles like I know my family.

Florida Cobia Habitat

 Cobias in Florida like to hang out in the Keys during the winter months where the water is warmer. They hide in the reefs and shipwreck areas. Come February, the Cobia move up the coast and start heading towards the Florida panhandle area.  By April and May, Cobia start coming to the Destin fishing area. That’s when the waters get between 70 and 85 degrees.

Florida Cobia Diet. Cobia like to hang out in the bottom waters, eating shrimp and crab and other “crusties”. But all that feeding makes the Cobia a strong fish that’s hard to catch. If it gets a hold of your bait, hold on for the ride. You need at least 200 yards of 20 or 30-guage line to bring a Cobia onto the deck.  Once the Cobia is on board, it ain’t over. They fight to their last breath or until you give ‘em a good whack. Just don’t hit your Cobia too many times or you will ruin the tasty meat. I like to cook my Cobia on the grill, blackened with ground pepper and Old Bay.

Destin, Florida is so popular for catching Cobia that it hosts fishing tournaments throughout the season, just like the catch I showed in that video. These rodeos are pretty popular. Even if you don't win or place, the fun of catching Cobia in the beautiful waters of Destin during the spring is unmatchable. I know because I've been doing it for 10 years. Book a trip early so you can get ahead of the game!
Captain Nino

0 comments:

Post a Comment

To book a charter, contact Captain Nino at (850)376-4027 or e-mail at Nino_Bright@yahoo.com